Quick Home Workouts for Strength and Building Lean Muscle
Quick home workouts are a great way to hit the major muscle groups when you only have 10 minutes in your schedule. Workouts do not have to be long and boring to be super effective. These workouts are not more than 10 minutes, but are very effective for burning fat and building lean muscle.
This workout can be done in the comfort of your home, and is is just as advertised, “quick.” That does not mean that it is an easy workout. Your muscles will be worked hard in a short time, and like any fitness plan, the “pushing” part is solely up to you.
I think we all need “quick” somewhere in our workout routines. I am sure you are much like me…very busy with life, and we all have those days when there is just no time to work out. However, there really is time to work out, because it does not take an hour to achieve a good workout. Most people think that it does.
It’s all about focus and intensity. In your average gym most guys spend half their time chatting about their weekend activities, not doing muscle-building exercises. We have all seen it, and that is not the best course to be effective in the gym or at home.
My blueprint is 30on3 – 30 minutes a workout, 3 days a week. But there are many days when we don’t have 30 minutes. The important lesson is that even if you only have 10 minutes, a great 10 minute workout is nearly as effective as 30 minutes with enough intensity and focus, and certainly better than no workout at all.
These quick home workouts will cover all of the major muscles groups:
Warm-up and Stretching
Even though you only have a short time for your workout, you still want to take a few minutes to do proper warm-up. This is especially true if you are over 35 years old. I have suffered many workout injuries as a result of poor warm-up, and they can be very debilitating. It is my hope you will learn from my mistakes and avoid much aggravation.
So, here are some quick warm-ups to get the blood flowing and the muscles ready to exercise:
- 2 minute of light cardio to get the blood flowing and warm your muscles
- 2 minute of dynamic stretching to loosen your muscles
This stuff is a must, as it will help you avoid injury.
Quick Home Workouts
The following quick home workouts are really effective for building strength and lean muscle. Your muscles will feel the burn, and you will get a light cardio workout as well.
This workout will target all major muscle groups:
- 10 Pull-ups – great for developing the V shaped back
- 20 Push-ups – build your pecs
- 15 Tricep dips – don’t forget your triceps…they make 2/3 of your upper arm size
- 12 Dumbbell curls – work your “guns”
- 20 Crunches – 6-pack abs
- 10 Forward Lunges
- 1 minute jumping rope
- The 6 exercises above + jump rope are considered 1 cycle
- Perform 2 cycles, with 1 minute rest between cycles
- You can increase or decrease the number of reps for each exercise depending on your conditioning and fitness level
- Do not rest between exercises (rest only as long as it takes to get set-up for the next exercise)
- I recommend that you own a pull-up bar at home. Here is a really good one, and you can do a lot with it. If you don’t have one, use a sturdy door with a towel wrapped over it.
- I recommend having 2 sets of dumbbells for your quick home workouts – 1 set for larger muscles (chest and back) – 50# or 60#; and 1 set for smaller muscles (biceps and triceps).
You can create variation in your quick home workouts by varying the reps as well as the exercises. Make sure your form is spot on, as this will improve the workout and also help you avoid injury.
These exercises are meant to be simple yet effective. Fundamentals, with their simplicity, always win the day!